Chicken schnitzel is one of the most popular foods in Israel and we really can't get enough. This version uses panko for the crumbs and soy sauce in the base coating creating a really unique, Asian flavored schnitzel you will go crazy for.
You can store cooled schnitzel in covered container, in between layers of paper towel or parchment paper to maintain crunch. To reheat, bake uncovered in a 350°F oven until warmed through.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced or pounded thin
- ⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 4 cups panko bread crumbs
- Canola oil, for frying
- Wasabi sauce
- Sweet Soy Sauce for Rice
- Place chicken and soy sauce in covered container or resealable bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours to marinate.
- While chicken is marinating, set up a dredge station. Place flour in one plate, eggs and remaining 1 tablespoon soy sauce in second plate, and panko bread crumbs in a third. Remove chicken from soy marinade and dredge in flour, then egg, then panko bread crumbs. Repeat with remaining all chicken breasts.
- In a large, heavy bottomed frying pan, add enough oil so that reaches 2-inches on the side of the pan. Heat on medium-high until oil reaches 360°F. Place breaded chicken pieces in one at a time and cook for 3 minutes on one side. Flip and fry for 2 minutes more. Drain on paper towel lined plate or baking sheet.
- Serve hot, warm or room temperature with wasabi sauce and/or sweet soy sauce for rice.