I have always made schnitzel this way as my family loves the super crunchy exterior. Leftovers make great sandwiches on rolls or stuffed into pita with hummus and salad. Get the kids involved by letting them help with the dipping and coating.
Always make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil, we love Colavita.
Make it in an air fryer: Arrange coated chicken in a single layer in your air fryer basket and air-fry for about 15 minutes at 370-380°F (187-193°C). Repeat this process until all the chicken is cooked.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 egg whites (whites make food crispy, yolks make food cakey)
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup panko style bread crumbs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, fo frying
- Garnish with lemon wedges
- Prepare a baking sheet with paper towels, set aside.
- Pound the chicken flat. Place 1 chicken breast in a large reusable storage bag with 1 tablespoon of water (this will keep the chicken breast from tearing. With a mallet or bottom of a small skillet, pound the chicken breast, from the center toward the outside edge, in all directions. This will even out the thickness and make the chicken cook evenly. Continue with remaining chicken breasts.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place egg whites in a shallow container that will accommodate the chicken.
- Place flour in the center of 1 piece of parchment and season with salt and pepper.
- Place panko in the center of remaining piece of parchment and season with salt and pepper and add zest and thyme to panko.
- Arrange the breading steps in order of: flour then egg whites and finally seasoned panko.
- Heat 2 inches of evoo in a heavy bottom skillet, over medium heat until the oil sizzles when a piece of panko is dropped in.
- Dredge a breast in flour, then egg white and finally in panko. Place in evoo and cook until browned on 1 side. Carefully turn over and brown the other side. Transfer browned chicken to prepared baking sheet. Continue with remaining chicken.
- Squeeze lemon wedges over chicken before serving.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.