Take the chill off a cool autumn day with this hearty, warm pot roast and vegetables.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 to 3½ pound boneless beef chuck arm roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 small red-skinned potatoes, halved
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2½- x ½-inch pieces
- 2 large parsnips, cut into 2½- x ½-inch pieces
- 1 small leek, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
1. Combine seasoning ingredients; press onto beef pot roast.
2. Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast on each side; pour off drippings.
3. Add ¾ cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 2 hours.
4. Add vegetables. Continue cooking, covered, 30 to 45 minutes, or until pot roast and vegetables are fork-tender. Remove pot roast and vegetables; keep warm.
5. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Ladle out 2 cups of cooking liquid in a small bowl or measuring cup; stir in cornstarch-water mixture. Return liquid to the pot, and cook, stirring for 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly.
6. Carve pot roast. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Source: Autumn Pot Roast With Root Vegetables Meat Shabbat, Rosh Hashana Main American www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com