If you haven't jumped on the Bahn Mi Bandwagon because the baguettes have too many carbs, now is the time to make a Bahn Mi Taco.
Bahn Mi is a traditionally Vietnam meat and pickled vegetable sandwich on a special kind of baguette. It is easy to make quick pickled carrots, daikon and cucumbers for this dish, just make sure to give yourself at least an hour to let the veggies absorb the flavor. This would make a really great appetizer, but you can also eat it as a meal with a large salad or soup on the side.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 15 tacosServings
- 2 pound Grow & Behold Skirt Steak
- ⅓ cup ponzu sauce
- 2 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 small flour tortillas
- Sriracha Mayo (mix 3 tablespoons mayo with 1 tablespoon sriracha)
- Shredded pickled carrots and daikon (I use a julienne peeler to cut the veggies and then place in a jar, cover with 1 cup rice vinegar mixed with ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 lime
Whisk ponzu, shallot, ginger, and black pepper. Place skirt steak in the marinade for at least an hour. Meanwhile prepare the rest of the ingredients. Warm up tortillas in the microwave or oven. Lay out sriracha mayo, pickled veggies, jalapeno slices, cilantro and avocado.
Just before serving. Preheat grill or broiler on high. Grill skirt steak for 3-4 minutes per side, until just cooked rare. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes, slice and serve.
Each person can assemble their taco as desired, spread the mayo, top with pickled veggies, meat, avocado, cilantro and avocado, squeeze a little bit of lime juice and enjoy.