- 1 large eggplant (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 head garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp whole cumin (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp whole coriander (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Prick eggplant with a fork several times. Slice the top off the garlic head. Place both on a baking sheet (the garlic cut-side up) in a 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, until eggplant skin is very soft and the skin is wrinkled and cracked. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook 8 minutes. Add red pepper and cook 4-5 minutes more. Make a hole in the center of the pan and pour in cumin and coriander and toast 3-4 minutes. Stir in ginger, turmeric, and garam masala.
- Meanwhile, cut eggplant in half lengthwise, and with a spoon, scrape the eggplant flesh out of the skin. Discard skin. Chop eggplant into bite-sized pieces. Squeeze garlic out of head and chop. Add to skillet along with tomatoes, chickpeas, and stock. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer 30 minutes covered, 10 minutes uncovered. Season with salt to taste.
- Serve over rice.
eggplant: 1.48 (on sale 10 lbs for $10)
fire-roasted tomatoes: 1.25
pantry items: <1.00
Grand total: $6.43; serves 4-6 over rice ($1.61 or less per serving)
This recipe is adapted from the Fat Free Vegan