- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 large heads roasted garlic (see tip)
- 1-1/2 gallons (3 pounds) portobello or white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 quart (1 pound) green onions and tops, sliced
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 4 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 9-1/2 pounds frozen cheese tortellini, not thawed
- 3 quarts (1 #10 can) Dark or Light Red Kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 quarts (2 pounds) baby peas, frozen or canned
- Parmesan sauce, divided (recipe follows)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) butter or margarine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts fat-free milk
- 4 cups (1 pound) Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 Squeeze garlic from heads and mash.
2 Combine mushrooms, green onions, broth, herbs, and garlic in small stockpot; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated, about 20 minutes.
3. Combine mushroom mixture, tortellini, beans, peas, and half the Parmesan sauce.
4 Mix well and spoon into 2 large steamtable pans. Pour remaining sauce over pans; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
5 Bake, uncovered, at 350°F until hot and bubbly, about 50 minutes.
TIP: To roast garlic, cut tops off heads of garlic, exposing cloves; spray with vegetable cooking spray. Wrap in aluminum foil. Bake 425°F until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Purchased minced, roasted garlic (1/3 cup) can be substituted.
1 Melt butter in large saucepan; whisk in flour. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in milk; heat to boiling, whisking constantly.
2 Reduce heat to low; stir in cheese and nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.