Levana's famous barbecue chicken recipe. A whole roasted chicken makes for a more dramatic presentation, but pieces will work just as well. Just remember the golden rule for roasted chicken and every roasted bird: breast side down! Turn it over to get its final beautiful amber color only in the last quarter of cooking time.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup pineapple or orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 2-inch piece ginger, peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce, or more to taste
- 16 pieces of chicken: legs, thighs, breast halves or 2 whole chickens
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Process all but last ingredient in a food processor until smooth.
3. Rub the mixture all over the chicken.
4. If you are using chicken pieces: Place the pieces skin-side down in a baking dish in one layer. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Take out the breasts, they should be done. Turn the dark pieces over and bake another 15 minutes.
5. If you are using whole chicken: Bake breast side down for 1 hour, turn the chickens over, and bake 15 more minutes.
6. Serve hot. Delicious at room temperature too. Makes 8 servings.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now