- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 servings ServingsServings
- 2 lbs:boneless stew meat, trimmed of fat
- 1-2 tablespoon:oil
- 1 large onion,:chopped
- 3 to 4 large carrots,:peeled and cut in 1 inch chunks
- salt and:pepper
- 2 to 2-1/2 cups:water
- 2 lbs butternut:squash
- 2 tablespoons:honey
- 1/4 teaspoon:ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups:prunes, pitted
- Cut beef in 1-1/2 - 2 inch pieces and pat them dry. Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a heavy stew pan.
- Add beef cubes in 2 batches, browning each lightly on all sides over medium-high heat and removing browned meat with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add remaining oil if pan is dry and heat it. Add onion and saute over medium heat, stirring often, until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cover if pan becomes dry. Return meat to pan with any juices on plate. Add carrots, salt, pepper and enough water to just cover.
- Bring to a boil, skimming occasionally. Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Peel the squash and cut it in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and stringy parts.
- Cut squash in 1 inch cubes and add the squash and stir to make sure the squash is totally incorporated into the liquid.
- Stir the honey and cinnamon into sauce Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix well. Add prunes.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serves 10.