- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 pkg (6 oz/170 g) sliced portobello mushrooms 1
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine 60 mL
- 3 tsp canola oil, divided 15 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes .5 mL
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 4 beef steaks (4 oz/115 g each) 4
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped (2 oz/55 g total) 2
- 1 tsp low-sodium beef bouillon granules 5 mL
- 1/4 cup water 60 mL
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh chives, sliced diagonally 15-30 mL
1 Preheat oven to 200 F (95 C).
2 Place mushrooms in a large, resealable plastic bag. Add wine, 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil, and pepper flakes. Seal bag and toss back and forth to coat evenly. Marinate for 15 minutes, turning frequently.
3 Meanwhile, sprinkle black pepper and salt evenly over beef, and let stand 15 minutes at room temperature. Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, tilting to coat bottom lightly.
4 Add beef, cook 4 minutes on one side, turn, and cook 2 minutes or to desired doneness. Put on an oven-proof plate and place in the oven to keep warm.
5 Remove mushrooms from marinade, reserving marinade. Coat pan residue in skillet with cooking spray and cook shallots 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
6 Add mushrooms, coat with cooking spray, and cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently using two utensils. Add reserved marinade, bouillon granules, and water. Boil for 1 minute to thicken; remove from heat.
7 Place steaks on individual dinner plates. Add any leftover beef juices to mushroom mixture, stir well, and spoon equal amounts over each steak. Sprinkle evenly with chives.