If you can buy the black eyed peas already cooked great, otherwise, soak them the night before and cook them in a pot covered with water on a simmer until soft, salting at the end.
Black eyed peas are incredibly underrated. Most people think of them as Southern food, but they have incredible flavor and texture that is almost buttery. High in fiber and protein, it is time to make them part of your life.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and pale-green parts only, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked black eyed peas
- 2 large zucchini, grated
- 1 lemon
- Place a large sauté pan over high heat. Add evoo and saute leeks, stirring regularly until the leeks are golden. Add salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add the black eyed peas and zucchini to the pan, cook until heated through. Adjust seasoning to taste. Sprinkle with lemon when serving.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 286
- Carbohydrate Content: 38.4 g
- Fat Content: 13.6 g
- Fiber Content: 9.3 g
- Protein Content: 6.7 g
- Sodium Content: 180 mg
- Sugar Content: 8.9 g