Get a healthy dose of horseradish in this bloody mary inspired gazpacho. With or without alcohol this soup is a real treat.
- Prep Time
- 4 (1 cup servings) ServingsServings
- 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 lb ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Gold’s white horseradish (or to taste)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 small Persian cucumber, diced
- 2 stalks of celery (inner more tender pieces), diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- 2 shots of vodka (optional)
Soak bread in 1/2 cup water 1 minute, then squeeze dry, discarding water.
Chop garlic with the salt and mash with the back of your knife to turn it into a sort of paste. Place garlic paste in food processor with bread, sugar, celery salt and worcestershire sauce and half of tomatoes. Process until finely chopped, add remaining tomatoes and with motor running, gradually add oil in a slow stream, blending until as smooth as possible, about 1 minute.
Force soup through a sieve into a bowl, pressing firmly on solids. Discard solids.
Transfer to a glass container and chill, covered, until cold, about 3 hours.
Once chilled, add horseradish and finely chopped vegetables. Season with salt and extra horseradish to taste before serving.
Enjoy the taste of a bloody mary in soup form.