Sometimes it's hard to find healthy choices on Passover, but these whole grain muffins make great snacks and the recipe can also be made as a side dish.
This Passover recipe is easy to throw together and it's great as a muffin or a side dish. My kids calls these "Healthy Muffins," so in our house, the name kind of stuck. They're a symphony of delicious tastes in concert with a wealth of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals—you'll make them all year through.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 muffinsServings
- 1 cup apple, chopped (around 2 large apples)
- 1 cup raw sweet potato, chopped (around 1 large sweet potato)
- 1 cup raw, peeled carrots, grated (around 12 baby carrots)
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat matzo meal
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a large bowl. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Cover muffin pan with aluminum foil and bake at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Raise the temperature of the oven to 350 degrees F, uncover the muffin tin and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
The above recipe can be made in a 10-inch casserole dish and used as a side dish for meat, poultry or fish. For a casserole, bake initially for 45 minutes at 325 degrees F and then uncover and continue to bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
Contributed by:BONNIE TAUB-DIX,MA,RD,CDN