Potato latkes are as exciting as vanilla ice cream. I’m sure there are the purists who believe it’s best to stick with tradition, but I like to mix things up in the kitchen. This year, I’m giving the latke a serious makeover, starting with this Broccoli Cheddar Latkes recipe.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 pattiesServings
- 1 lb. broccoli florets, chopped and steamed
- 1 russet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup panko crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Oil for frying
1. Steam and chop the broccoli florets.
2. Place in large mixing bowl. Add the grated potato, diced onion, panko crumbs, eggs, pepper, salt, cayenne pepper, flour, cheese, and oil and mix well.
3. Shape into patties and fry until golden brown.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now