Brown sugar adds a toffee flavor to pavlova. I love this version with fragrant pineapple and creamy mascarpone. If you can't find mascarpone, use cream cheese.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 egg whites, cold, not warmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 1¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Coconut Mascarpone (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Roasted Pineapples (recipe follows), chopped macadamias, and toasted coconut
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup shredded coconut, toasted
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- 1 ripe pineapple, cored and peeled
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped out
- ¼ cup dark rum or orange juice.
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Draw a 9-inch circle on a piece of parchment paper. Flip the paper so ink does not get on the meringue and set aside.
2. Whip whites, salt, and vanilla seeds on high in a mixer until firm. With the motor running, add sugar, a spoonful at a time, until whites are glossy and very stiff.
3. Gently fold potato starch and vinegar into meringue with a spatula.
4. Transfer meringue to prepared parchment paper. Form meringue into a rustic bowl. It's not necessary to make it perfect. Just be sure to make the center thick enough to support the filling.
5. Bake pavlova at 250°F for 1½ hours. Turn off the oven and do not open the door for at least 6 hours or, better yet, overnight. The residual heat will crisp up the meringue and keep humidity out.
6. Place pavlova on a serving platter and dollop coconut mascarpone on meringue. Arrange pineapple on top and garnish with chopped macadamias and toasted coconut.
1. With a mixer, or by hand, whip cream and sugar in a chilled bowl with chilled beater until soft folds forms.
2. Fold whipped cream into mascarpone cheese. Fold in coconut and vanilla bean seeds.
3. Keep chilled for up to 1 day before using.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place pineapple, sugar, butter, vanilla, and rum or orange juice in a baking dish. Roast pineapple, in a 400°F oven, for 30 minutes until browned and very fragrant. Occasionally spoon pan juices over fruit during cooking.
3. Remove form oven and cool pineapple before cutting into bite-size pieces. Use to top Brown Sugar Pavlova.