The sweet and sour dressing and fresh herbs in this updated Israeli cabbage salad keep the salad feeling light, while the hint of garlic and bright purple cabbage keep it strongly tied to the dish that inspired it. Together, the ingredients make a bright and colorful salad that has no resemblance to the lifeless one that fills endless pitas.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 as a meal, 7 as a meal ServingsServings
- 1/2 head of purple cabbage (shredded)
- 1 purple onion (cut into long thin pieces)
- 3 persimmons (diced)
- 1/4 cup of basil (diced)
- 1/2 cup of nana or mint (diced)
- 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds
Sweet and Sour Dressing
- 1/2 cup of rice vinegar
- 2/3 cup of lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worchester sauce
- 1 tsp ginger (dry)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Place a small pot over a medium heat.
- Add your salad dressing ingredients together in the pot and allow them to reach a soft simmer.
- Once you salad dressing has started to bubble let it cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- While your dressing is cooking, cut your vegetables.
- Once your dressing has cooled down, gradually add it to your salad. Toss your salad and taste it to see how much dressing you like on the salad.
- Serve immediately.