This Caprese Chocolate Cake with Olive Oil is gluten-free and a great save-for-later recipe for Passover.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3.5 oz. bittersweet or good baking chocolate, grated or coarsely broken
- 1/4 cup mild olive oil
- 2 extra large or 3 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups ground almonds or hazelnuts
- 1 or 2 tablespoons Disaronno (or orange liqueur), optional
- Powdered sugar to decorate
1. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie double boiler, or carefully in the microwave. Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat and slowly stir in the oil until incorporated. Set aside and cover.
2. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until light, thick, and frothy, and slowly and gently combine them with the ground nuts, the liqueur, and the melted chocolate mix, using upward motions.
3. In a separate, clean, and degreased bowl (tip: I use a cotton pad dipped in white vin-egar or lemon juice), beat the whites until stiff using an electric whisk. Now slowly add the whites to the mix using a spatula.
4. Line a 9-inch baking pan with wet (squeeze well) parchment; pour the mixture into the pan and bake at 350°F in a preheated oven for about 35 to 45 minutes.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Winter 2014 Subscribe Now