- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 Pounds TURKEY THIGHS, skin removed
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 Cup TURKEY BROTH
- 1 Can (16 ounces) stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1 Can (16 ounces) black beans, drained
- 1 Pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Assembly :
- 2 Medium bananas, sliced
- 10 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 Cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 to 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Stew :
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, over medium-high heat, brown thighs in oil about 3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside
- In same pan, saute onions 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Add broth, tomatoes, black beans, squash, sweet potatoes, red pepper, salt, 1/4 cup coconut and turkey thighs.
- Bring mixture to boil; immediately reduce heat, cover and gently simmer 1 to 1-1/4 hours, or until turkey thighs register 170 degrees F on meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion.
- Ten minutes before serving, remove turkey thighs from stew and strip turkey from bones with fork; return turkey strips to stew. Heat throughout.
- Assembly :
- To serve, spoon stew into bowls and garnish with bananas, green onions and coconut. Squeeze juice of lime over top.
Source: National Turkey Federation