Summer apples are a completely different fruit than the apples from the supermarket. They are so sparkly and effervescent. Because they are harvested early, the sugars have not fully developed and they are tart with a hint of sweetness. They are also very, very crisp. Using a “fruity” flavored oil enhances the flavors in this salad.
- Prep Time
- 6 medium carrots
- 2 medium summer apples or other tart apples
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Juice of ½ a lemon 1 small torpedo onion, or large shallot
- ¼ cup spearmint leaves
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- Kosher salt
- Large pinch of crushed red pepper
1. Cut tops off carrots and slice on a mandolin or by hand into long thin slices.
2. Cut apples the same way and drizzle with lemon juice to keep from browning.
3. Slice onion into half rings and chop spearmint. Arrange everything on a large platter or salad plates.
4. Whisk vinegar, honey, oil, salt, and red pepper. Drizzle over carrot-apple salad and serve.