- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 package corn muffin mix, plus ingredients to make mix
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1½ cup shredded reduced-fat mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare corn muffin mix batter as directed on package. Spray an 8-inch square or round pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Do not remove cornbread from the pan.
While bread is baking, heat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add onions and peppers; sauté until soft. Stir in oregano; set aside.
Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over baked bread; top with vegetable mixture and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cut into 2 inch squares to serve.
Yield: 1 (2-inch) square, per serving
Source: National Dairy Council