- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast and thigh meat, boneless and skinless, cut into chunks
- 2 TBLS vegetable oil
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian link sausage, sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green peppe
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping tsp purchased Cajun Seasoning Mix, or to taste
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup chopped green onions and/or tomatoes (optional)
1 In large Dutch oven, warm oil.
2 Add chicken and sauté over medium high heat until browned. Add sausage to pot; sauté with chicken. Remove both from pot.
3 Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic; sauté until tender, about 9-10 minutes. If making red jambalaya, add paprika.
4 Return chicken and sausage to pot.
5 Add stock (or stock and tomato juice, or Bloody Mary mix if making red jambalaya) and Cajun seasoning and bring to a boil.
6 Add rice and return to boil.
7 Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 25 minutes.
8 After 10 minutes of cooking, remove cover and quickly turn rice from top to bottom completely. Continue cooking for remaining time.
9 Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add green onions and chopped tomatoes, if desired.
Source: National Chicken Council