This sandwich is great for road trips, but it is great any day of the week too. The chickpeas replace your egg, tuna or chicken to make a fabulous salad sandwich loaded with protein and fiber.
- Prep Time
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small avocado
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Leafy greens, like spinach, kale or cabbage
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine chickpeas with avocado and mash with potato masher or fork until it forms a chunky texture.
- Add parsley, red onion, red pepper, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and stir until well combined. Eat immediately or store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- When ready to eat, spread ¼ of mixture onto one slice of bread. Top with greens and other slice of bread.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 332
- Carbohydrate Content: 48.6 g
- Fat Content: 10.3 g
- Fiber Content: 12.2 g
- Protein Content: 14.4 g
- Sodium Content: 321 mg
- Sugar Content: 8.7 g