These warm, rich chocolate lava cakes are gluten free and are super simple to make. No need to melt chocolate, or make tons of bowls dirty. This is a one bowl, no mixer, make ahead dessert.
Related: 6 Desserts Made with Olive Oil
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup potato starch (or tapioca starch)
- 1/2 cup almond flour or freshly ground almonds sifted to remove large pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Garnish: whipped cream or ice cream (pareve or dairy) and strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk sugar and eggs until well blended.
3. Add oil and coffee and continue to whisk until light and fluffy.
4. Sift potato (or tapioca) starch, almond flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and pinch of salt and whisk until well blended.
5. Fill 4 ounce ramekins 3⁄4 full with brownie mixture (you can use 1/3 measuring cup) and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Extra richness: add a chunk of your favorite dark chocolate in the center of the batter before baking
6. Remove from oven and serve immediately with some ice cream or coconut cream and fresh berries.
To make ahead of time: Freeze in ramekins and place directly from freezer into oven, bake an additional 5 minutes.