This recipe yields a light and fluffy doughnut that leaves plenty of room for your favorite fillings. Today we are going with the classic strawberry jelly filling and confectioner’s sugar topping.
Make-ahead your doughnut dough the night before then store in a resealable bag in the refrigerator, then take out 1 to 2 hours before frying. This way you’re ready to go when the party starts.
Chopsticks make the perfect doughnut turning tool for frying. Using two chopsticks, one on each side of the doughnut, gently twist and flip the dough in hot oil.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 Mini or 12 LargeServings
- 1¼ cups coconut milk, heated to 90°F
- 1 (0.75 ounce) package yeast
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more rolling out the doughnuts
- 2 quarts extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
Filling & Topping:
- 1 cup favorite jelly loaded into a pastry bag fitted with a round tip
- Confectioner’s sugar
1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly dust the sheets with flour. Line 2 additional baking sheets with paper towels.
2. In the bowl of a standing mixer or in a large bowl, stir together warm milk, yeast, and 1 cup flour. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes. With a dough hook fitted to the mixer, and the motor on LOW, add eggs, evoo, vanilla extract, sugar, salt, and remaining flour. Alternatively, you can mix in ingredients by hand.
3. Knead by mixer or by hand until it’s smooth and elastic. If making doughnuts the same day, place dough in a lightly greased bowl and let rise for 1 to 2 hours until doubled in size. Or, lightly oil dough, place in a resealable bag, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 day.
4. When ready to make the doughnuts, lightly flour your work surface and roll dough to ¼-inch thick. Cut dough into desired size doughnut with cookie or doughnut cutters. For a filled doughnut, do not cut out a center. If using the make ahead dough method, let dough come to room temperature before rolling and cutting.
5. Place cut dough on prepared baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flour. Allow doughnuts to rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
6. Pour 2 quarts of oil in a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven fitted with a deep fry thermometer and place on medium-high heat. Once oil reaches 360°F on the deep fry thermometer, place several doughnuts in oil and fry 2 minutes per side. Use chopsticks to gently flip the doughnuts over and fry for 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. Transfer fried doughnuts to paper towel lined sheets.
Filling & Topping:
1. Once the doughnuts have cooled a bit, poke a hole either in the side or on top and fill with jelly, Chocolate Pastry Cream or Lemon Pastry Cream. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or dip in Luscious Vanilla Bean Glaze or Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze.