There is nothing like a big bowl of soup in the winter and we love to make it into a meal. This recipe is total comfort food with the creamy coconut milk and soft rice all with some leftover chicken.
Feel free to use vegetable broth and tofu or leave out the chicken completely for vegetarians.
If you like spicy food add a minced chile pepper in with the garlic or add some cayenne pepper with curry powder. And if you don’t like curry use chili powder.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup brown rice
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
2. Sauté onions, ginger and garlic for about 4 minutes or until tender.
3. Add carrots and sauté 2 more minutes.
4. Add chicken stock and brown rice and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Stir in coconut milk, chicken, lime zest and juice, curry powder and salt and cook 5 minutes, until chicken is heated through.
6. Stir in cilantro and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 478
- Carbohydrate Content: 29.9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 54 mg
- Fat Content: 29.9 g
- Fiber Content: 4.5 g
- Protein Content: 25.7 g
- Sodium Content: 982 mg
- Sugar Content: 5.9 g