Spread some butter on this cranberry batter bread for a decadent treat with morning coffee or tea. Or afternoon or evening! Prep time doesn't include time for dough to rise.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 loavesServings
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (105°F)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 cups bread flour
- 3 cups cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raisins
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water with sugar; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir shortening, sugar, and salt into scalded milk; cool to lukewarm.
3. Add milk mixture and eggs to dissolved yeast, mixing thoroughly. Gradually add flour, beating with a wooden spoon until batter pulls away from the spoon. Cover; let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Spray 2 9x5 inch loaf pans with non-stick vegetable spray.
5. Stir cranberries and raisins into the batter until well blended. Spoon into prepared loaf pans. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 375. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped.
7. Remove from pans; cool completely on a wire rack.