- Orange Sherry Vinaigrette
- 1/2 c. fresh orange juice
- Pinch of kosher salt, to taste
- 1/4 c. sherry vinegar
- 1 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. toasted, freshly ground cumin, to taste
- 1 tsp. toasted, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 c. loosely packed California raisins
- Bread Salad
- 2 tbsp. Spanish olive oil
- 4 slc. Cuban bread or other crusty, rustic bread
- 1/4 c. coarsely chopped, mixed, fresh herbs, e.g., sage, basil, rosemary and/or thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1/2 c. goat cheese
- 2 medium tomatoes; ends removed, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tbsp. cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 4 c. mixed greens, e.g., romaine, red leaf, radicchio, Bibb and/or Belgian endive
1 Pour orange juice into a small heavy saucepan. Set over medium heat and reduce by half to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat;. turn into medium bowl and whisk together with salt and vinegar.
2 Continue whisking and add olive oil, cumin and pepper. Adjust seasonings to taste. Measure raisins into a small bowl and add vinaigrette to cover; set aside. Reserve remaining vinaigrette.
1 Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté bread on both sides until golden. Remove from pan. Drain raisins and place in a large bowl.
2 Add greens, herbs and reserved vinaigrette, 1/4 cup at a time, tossing gently until mixed.
1 Combine goat cheese, chives, salt and pepper to taste. Remove tops from small tomatoes; hollow out seeds, and fill with cheese mixture.
2 Arrange tomato slices in center of each serving plate; top with a slice of bread and about 1 cup of salad. Place a filled tomato on the side and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Source: Chef Norman Van Aken and California Raisin Marketing Board