You'll need to use a pareve or dairy grill pan if you plan on passing bowls of real sour cream and shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes to accompany these Southwest-style meatless bean burgers.
This recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (15 to 16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- ⅓ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons bottled chunky salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Vegetable oil
- 2 hamburger buns
- Toppings: salsa, guacamole, caramelized onions, sliced onion, sliced tomatoes
- Using a fork, mash beans in medium bowl. Mix in onion, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons salsa, cumin and hot pepper sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper. Using moistened hands, shape bean mixture into two 3- to 4-inch-diameter patties.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Brush barbecue rack with oil. Grill burgers until heated through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Grill cut sides of buns until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer burgers to bottom halves of buns.
- Spoon your choice of toppings over each burger and top with buns.