I use Japanese eggplant for a lot of my eggplant dishes. The intense color, slim profile and intense smoky flavor make it an excellent choice when looking for big flavor.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 Japanese eggplant, sliced into 1 ½ inch thick rounds
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Place a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil.
- Brown the eggplant slices on each side until browned and crispy (about 2 minutes per side). Transfer the eggplant to a Dutch oven or large sauce pan.
- Brown the red onion, adding more olive oil if necessary. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Transfer to the saucepan.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the saucepan and cook over low heat until the sweet potato is cooked through and the sauce is thick. Garnish with fresh mint, cilantro and additional lemon juice.
Serve with chicken, vegetables, or fish and rice.