Lighten up the traditional deli roll by making these healthy pinwheels. Loaded with flavor and whole grain they are a filling lunch or dinner served with an Italian inspired chopped salad.
Ask your butcher to slice the lean deli, and if he’s feeling charitable to remove all the visible fat (otherwise you can do that on your own). Use light mayonnaise and a whole wheat wrap instead of the puff pastry and you’ve got a pretty delish dish in minutes.
I can’t say this will replace your traditional deli roll forever, but it’s a wicked good takeoff on the idea, and one that should be in your repertoire.
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- For Pinwheels:
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 4 whole wheat wraps or tortillas
- 12 slices thinly sliced turkey
- 12 slices thinly sliced pastrami
- For salad:
- 1 (9-ounce) bag chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 (6-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup Italian vinaigrette dressing
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup and relish and set aside. To assemble pinwheel, spread 2 tablespoons of dressing on wrap, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the edge. Layer with turkey and pastrami. Starting at one end, roll tightly, like sushi, and cut into 4 equal sections. Repeat with remaining wraps, dressing and deli meat and serve with extra dressing and chopped salad.
- In a large bowl, combine romaine, red onion, tomato, black olives and red peppers. Toss with vinaigrette and serve.