This is an amazing combination of flavors that reflect the South of the Border spirit.
- 6-8 ServingsServings
- 4 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 - 3 1/2 pound chicken, cut up
- 1 cup seedless raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup toasted almond slivers
- shredded orange rind (optional)
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Remove to a cooking pot. Add everything but olives,capers, and almonds. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour or until done (i.e., juices run clear when poked with a fork).
Add olives and capers and cook for another five minutes. Serve with toasted almonds and shredded orange rind (optional) sprinkled on top.
To toast almonds, heat a small frying pan over low heat (do not add oil). Add almond slivers. Stir constantly. As they start to turn a light golden brown, remove from heat. Be careful, as they burn quickly.