Dukkah is a Middle Eastern spice blend that can be made in many ways, but it always has nuts, sesame seeds, and spices. Dukkah is mostly used for dipping with bread and evoo, but it also works as a seasoning and coating for chicken, fish and meat dishes.
In this recipe you combine the dukkah first, go ahead and make extra while you’re at it and store for other recipes, it’s so good you might just find you’ll start adding it to all your food.
Note this dukkah creates a very strong fennel flavor in the dish, if you don’t like fennel you can use cumin seeds or if you only like it a little use less. This recipe will take longer and use a bit more broth if you use coarse bulgur, but it will still be delicious.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, pounded thin and even (about 1 ½ pounds)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup uncooked fine ground bulgur, rinsed
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh kale, chard or spinach
- 2 cups chicken broth
Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Make dukkah by combining almonds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and sesame seeds in a blender and pulse a few times to coarsely chop, set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons evoo over medium high heat in a 12-inch or larger oven-proof sauté pan. Season each chicken breast with salt and pepper and coat with dukkah. Sear chicken until it starts to brown, flip and brown the other side, until cooked through. Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. (the thinner the chicken the faster it will cook)
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 tablespoons evoo to pan and saute onion and garlic for 5 min, it’s good if some of the dukkah fell in the pan, it helps flavor the bulgur. Add bulgur and mix to coat with oil, add finely chopped greens and broth, stir well. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat. Let sit a few more minutes before adjusting salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve chicken with bulgur.