This fragrant and delicious garnish is great for salads, baked goods, and anytime you want a POP of citrus flavor.
Use Candied Orange Peel as a garnish for Basmati Rice with Pistachios.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ¼ cupServings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Fat strips zest (removed with a knife) from 2 oranges, pith cut off*
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Simmer sugar, water, and orange peel in a small saucepan over low heat for 20 minutes.
Add lemon or lime juice and continue simmering for another 15 minutes. The mixture will be very thick.
3. Strain out orange peel and spread out the pieces on prepared pan, separating the pieces with a fork.
4. Allow to dry for a few hours and then store, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 month or freeze for 3 months.
* Pith is a bitter white substance between the citrus and the peel. To remove it, cut fat strips of peel from citrus fruit. Lay the strips, pith side up, hold onto the strip with 1 hand while horizontally slicing off the white pith.