This classic, but simple, Israeli salad takes just a few minutes to make, and can be served warm or cold. Make ahead and store in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium eggplants, diced, salted and allowed to sit for 30 minutes before rinsing and drying
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a large saute pan, coated generously with evoo, over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Add peppers, grape tomatoes, garlic and cumin and continue sauteeing for 3 to 5 minutes, until garlic has softened.
2. Add tomato paste and water. Stir to combine. Decrease heat to simmer and cook until eggplant is very soft and salad is thick and chunky.
3. Turn off heat, add lemon juice and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.