Inspired by Chef Meir Adoni's eggplant carpaccio this appetizer tastes even better than it looks! This version is dairy-free, simply topped with freshly toasted pistachios. For a dairy option, you can add crumbled goat cheese or feta.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 eggplants
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ teaspoon rose water
- ½ cup pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
- Parsley leaves to garnish
- White rose petals to garnish
1. Char eggplants directly over the fire of a gas burner for 10 minutes, rotating every 3 minutes.
2. Place eggplants in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rest for 1 hour.
3. Peel charred skin off eggplants and discard with the tops. Reserve all liquid.
4. Sauté garlic and shallot in olive oil until translucent and add cumin. Remove from heat and add to eggplant.
5. Add lemon and rose water to the eggplant mixture and smash and mix everything with a fork.
6. Lay eggplant mixture out in a thin layer on a plate and add parsley, pistachio, and rose to garnish.
7. Serve with charred laffa and tahina, if desired.