Otherwise named Choresh Galieh Mahi this Persian recipe is a favorite easy fish with tons of authentic flavor. Serve with Adas Polo, Rice with Brown Lentils and Caramelized Onions.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 onions, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ pounds skinless and boneless salmon, cut into 1″x1″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tamarind paste or 4 tablespoons of lime juice
- 2 cups chopped cilantro (2 bunches, stems discarded)
- In a 6-quart saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onion begins to be translucent (about 1 minute.) Place fish cubes on onions and cover the pot. Steam fish for 8 minutes over medium/low heat, without stirring. Add salt, pepper, and hot paprika, if using. Stir well.
- Add water and tomato paste; stir until paste dissolves.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tamarind paste or lime juice and cilantro; stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot in a casserole dish.