Knishes are delicious as they are, but they also make an incredible ingredient in this shortcut casserole. No chopping and dicing, all you need is to cut up the knishes. The combo of caramelized onions and a creamy sauce over pillowy knishes is just dreamy.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 Gabila’s Potato Knishes, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grease a 9 x 13 casserole and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut knishes into 2-inch cubes and arrange in single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Toast in the oven at 350°F for 15 minutes. Place toasted cubes in the prepared casserole dish.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and EVOO in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook onions until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and thyme and cook 2 to 3 minutes more. Stir in flour and cook an additional 3 minutes. Pour in milk, turn heat to high and stir until mixture starts bubbling. Lower heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour over toasted knish cubes. Top with cheese and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Serve immediately.