This delicious chocolate ice cream is so close to the real thing that an Italian friend of ours, Adriano Benjamino, asked me how I managed to get his mother's secret recipe! And it's Pesachdik too!
- 10 eggs separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 14 oz pareve dark chcolate
- 1/4 cup oil
1. To make the ice cream, beat the egg yolks and 1 cup of the sugar until light and creamy. Use an electric beater, because this can take a while! Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or place a medium sized saucepan into a slighty larger one half-filled with boiling water).
2. Add oil (very slowly) to egg yolk mixture and continue beating. When chocolate has melted, slowly add to the egg-yolk mixture. Continue to beat until very well combined.
3. Separately beat the egg whites until firm, while gradually adding the remaining sugar.
4. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and mix well so that there are no little bits of egg white still visible.
5. Pour into a suitable container, such as a freezer-proof glass bowl or foil container, and freeze for at least 48 hours.