November is prime time for football lovers, and along with the contest comes a drive for winning snacks. These classic Gluten Free Honey Butter Pretzels are baked, hot out of the oven, and drizzled with local honey and flaky sea salt. Easily portable, and a perfect foil for that salty-sweet craving every fan understands around half time, these will satisfy whether at home or away.
- I like to first make a horse shoe, “u” shape with the dough, facing away from you.
- Cross the left piece under right piece, right piece under the left piece, then flip that criss cross up and over towards you to the top of the “u” and press to seal it.
- Shape it a bit to even out the pretzel form and you are ready to go!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°; I used a candy thermometer to measure my temp)
- 1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (plus extra melted butter for topping)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- Cooking spray
- Coarse salt
- Honey for drizzling (I love local honey if you can find it)
1. Combine yeast, water, and ½ teaspoon sugar in a small bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Combine 1½ cups flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, xanthan gum, and butter in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with pastry cutter or fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yeast mixture and stir until well combined. Add remaining 1½ cups flour and mix to combine.
3. Pour out on a surface and knead a few times to make a smooth dough. Place dough in a large, well-greased bowl (I sprayed mine with cooking spray) and cover. Let rise in a warm place, free from drafts for 60 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 475°F and spray your baking sheet with cooking spray. Divide dough into 5 or 6 pieces (or if you like, you can make the pretzels a bit smaller like I did; I think I ended up with 8-10 pieces).
5. Knead pieces in your hands until nicely smooth. Roll each piece into a 16-18-inch length and form into a pretzel shape.*
6. In a non-aluminum pot, bring water to a boil with baking soda. Add pretzels, two at a time, and boil 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to lift the pretzel out, and shake off excess water. Place pretzels on a baking sheet.
7. Using a pastry brush, spread melted butter on the pretzels and top with coarse salt. Bake at 475°F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Once out of the oven, drizzle with honey. Voila! The perfect, gluten-free, honey butter pretzel!