I have made this yeast pumpkin bread for years. Everyone raves about how delicious it is. This bread is worth the work!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 loavesServings
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup canola or safflower oil, plus extra for coating
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- 6½ to 7 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and sugar.
3. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Knead 8 to 10 minutes, until you have a smooth dough.
4. Place dough in lightly greased bowl and turn dough over so its top is also oiled. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1½ hours, until doubled.
5. Punch down. Turn onto a board and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in 2 greased 9x5x3 loaf pans.
6. Brush the top with a little oil (optional). Cover and let rise 50 minutes, until almost doubled.
7. Bake 35 minutes, or until bread tests done.
Source: Adapted from Farm Journal's Homemade Breads.