Pesto in cream sauce is a favorite pasta dish of mine. It is creamy and herbaceous and hits all the right notes. I have been making this dish for years every Shavuot and for family dinners. I experimented with substituting heavy cream for plain Greek yogurt and this dish was born. I am always ecstatic when I can say that using a healthier ingredient not only achieves the desired results but actually tastes even better.
This dish does it. The Greek yogurt adds a refreshing tanginess to the sauce while also maintaining the creamy element heavy cream provides. It is also simpler to make: mix the pesto into the ready yogurt and add it to hot pasta, serve with toasted pine nuts and some grated parmesan. What can be better?
- You can use any version of spaghetti, fettuccine or linguini ranging from gluten-free to whole wheat or grain.
- When making your own pesto, you can add ½ cup of baby greens such as baby arugula or baby spinach in place of some of the herbs to add extra nutrition value to pesto.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 cup prepared pesto (store-bought or follow recipe below)
- 2 containers Greek Yogurt, plain
- 1 pound/package of pasta of choice, spaghetti or fettuccini work great
- 1/2 cups toasted pine nuts, for garnish (optional)
- 1 cup herbs such as parsley and basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente results.
2. While pasta cooks, prepare sauce.
3. Combine Greek yogurt with pesto.
4. When pasta is ready, immediately mix into the Greek yogurt pesto sauce.
5.Serve with grated Parmesan and/or toasted pine nuts.
1. Process ingredients in a blender or food processor.
2. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container with olive oil poured on top to maintain freshness and flavor.