- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 c California Nishiki Rice
- 1/2 c water
- 1/2 T canola oil,
- 3/4 c 1/4-inch X 1 1/2-inch julienned red bell pepper
- 1/2 c 1/2-inch cubed eggplant
- 3/4 c 1/4-inch X 1-inch sliced yellow onion
- 1/3 c coconut milk, light coconut milk may be used
- 1/2 T soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 T green curry paste, or to taste
- 1 T dark brown sugar
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 10 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin 1-inch slic
- 3 T chiffonade fresh sweet basil leaves
- 2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and water. Bring to a soft boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until the moisture is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
2 Meanwhile, heat the canola oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat until almost smoking. Add the red bell pepper and onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the eggplant and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until all vegetables are softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3 In the same pan, whisk together the coconut milk and curry. Whisk in the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until reduced, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the chicken and vegetables and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
4 Divide the rice between 4 bowls. Pour the curry over the rice and serve immediately.
California Rice Commission - calrice.org