This rice pudding is best made with matcha for its strong unique flavor and incredible color. Matcha is a type of green tea that comes as a green powder. It is knowns for its high antioxidant properties. If you can’t find matcha or don’t want to splurge, simply brew any green tea in a high concentration and use the same way in this recipe.
Once you have matcha in the house you can use it to flavor other recipes, but it is also amazing and easy to use as it was originally intended, as tea. Just mix a teaspoon with 1 cup boiling water and stir well to enjoy your cup.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups almond milk, coconut milk or low fat milk
- 2-3 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons matcha
- 1 cup cooked short grain brown rice
- Garnish: raisins, almonds, walnuts, blueberries, kiwi, shredded coconut
1. In a small pot combine milk of choice, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and matcha. Stir well with a whisk to break up the matcha powder.
2. Bring to a simmer on low heat stirring often (make sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t scorch).
3. Add cooked rice to the pot and stir well. Simmer until milk cooks down and the rice is creamy, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove rice pudding from pot and store in fridge overnight or until ready to serve.
5. Top with garnishes and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 199
- Carbohydrate Content: 29.2 g
- Fat Content: 7.3 g
- Fiber Content: 3.7 g
- Protein Content: 4.7 g
- Sodium Content: 182 mg
- Sugar Content: 9.2 g