Halva and chocolate combine in this heavenly babka. We all love chocolate babka, but try adding some halva and it takes it to another level.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cakesServings
- 560 grams (18 ounces) flour (4 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 100 grams (3 ⅓ ounce) sugar (1/2 cup)
- 100 grams (3 ⅓ ounce) soft Butter or margarine (1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk or milk substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate spread
- Halva crumbs
- 1 egg
1. Knead all the ingredients into a smooth and flexible dough.
2. Let the dough rise until doubled in volume.
3. Roll out a large rectangle about half an inch thick.
4. Spread the chocolate spread generously over the dough.
5. Sprinkle the halva crumbs over the chocolate.
6. Roll up the dough lengthwise and press down slightly.
7. Cut with a sharp knife into halves and braid a form.
8. Brush with egg and leave for 15 minutes.
9. Preheat oven to 340 degrees and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Recipe excerpted from Cook In Israel.