This perfectly grilled Hanger Steak with grilled vegetables and spring onions comes from Chef Ari White, of the revolutionary kosher BBQ company, The Wandering Q.
Chef's Tip: Grill Your Vegetables and Spring Onions:
Sweet Potatoes: Wrap sweet potato in aluminum foil well. Place in your grill and cook for about 30 minutes. Peel and mash.
Spring onions: Sprinkle a bit of oil and place on the grill with steaks. Takes about three minutes and highlights the sweetness of scallions with the added benefit of an easy, impressive way to bump up presentation.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1-1½ pound hanger steak
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tablespoon instant coffee
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
Maple Soy Reduction
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup of your favorite bourbon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
1. Prepare the rub: Combine spices and apply to your steak. Let stand for 15 minutes or so while preparing your reduction.
2. Prepare Maple Soy Reduction: Add all ingredients together in a saucepan and simmer on low until reduced by half. Set aside.
3. Grill your steak on as hot a surface as possible (grill or cast iron pan) until desired doneness (I'm a medium-rare kind of guy).
4. Let your steak rest for 10 minutes once it comes off the grill, pour your bourbon reduction sauce over your steak just as you serve, and enjoy!
5. Serve with sweet mashed potato and grilled spring onions.
Recipe published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Summer 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW