These carrots made with homemade harissa make the perfect side for meat, chicken, fish, or egg dishes.
You can just use store-bought harissa, or easily make it yourself in a few minutes with a food processor or high-speed blender. And because you made it yourself, you control the heat, amount of salt, and quality of the ingredients. Homemade harissa can be stored, covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or frozen for 3 months.
Dry chiles are easier to incorporate into the harissa if they are first soaked. Place chiles in a small bowl, pour hot water over them, and cover. Let soak for 20 minutes, then drain before adding to the food processor or blender.
Make sure to use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
Instead of making your own harissa from scratch order our Jamie Geller Harissa and mix it up with some oil or water for a quick paste.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 2 dried ancho chiles, seeded and soaked in hot water and drained (see note above)
- 2 red fresno chiles or red jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 1 preserved lemon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Toast caraway, cumin, and coriander seeds in a dry pan over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are fragrant and lightly browned.
2. Place caraway, cumin, coriander, garlic, roasted peppers, chiles, evoo, lemon juice or preserved lemon, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender and process until it becomes a thick paste.
3. Transfer to a covered container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, or freeze for up to 3 months.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Slice carrots into large dice or bias cut. Place on prepared baking sheet and toss with evoo, salt, and pepper.
3. Roast in a 375°F oven for 30 minutes until tender.
4. Remove from oven and toss with several tablespoons of harissa. Serve warm alongside your main dish.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.