Apple crisp is always comforting and delicious and it won't break the dessert calorie bank either. You might even want to save some for breakfast. This healthy crisp is loaded with fruits and topped with an oat and nut mixture.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 5 medium baking apples, such as McIntosh or Cortland, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 talbespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter such as Earth Balance
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (neutral flavored)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large deep pie plate with cooking spray.
2 Combine apples with sugar, lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
3 In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix to blend using fingertips to crumble the butter into the flour evenly.
4 Stir in oil, apple juice, nuts, cardamom and allspice. Mix until moist and clumpy.
5 Remove the foil from the baking dish and cover with topping spreading evenly. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until browned. Serve with whipped topping if desired.