Learn how to make borscht that is not only delicious but also healthy! Much easier than you would have thought and much tastier too.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 14 ServingsServings
- 2 medium onions, chopped 2
- 1 cup diced carrots 250 mL
- 1 cup diced celery 250 mL
- 1 cup shredded cabbage 250 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1 cup peeled and diced potatoes 250 mL
- 2 cups peeled and diced beets 500 mL
- 6 1/2 cups water 1.55L
- 1 cup low sodium tomato juice 250 mL
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock 500 mL
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 bay leaves 2
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- fresh dill and parsley to taste
1 In a large soup pot, saute onion, carrot, celery and cabbage in canola oil until cooked
2 Add potatoes and beets and continue to saute for about one minute.
3 Add water, tomato juice and stock. Season with lemon juice, bay leaves and salt. Allow to simmer until potatoes are cooked about 15 to 20 minutes.
4 Add dill and parsley near the end of the cooking time.
5 Remove from heat and serve. Garnish each bowl with 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) non-dairy or low fat or no fat sour cream, if desired.