What?!!! Healthy sausage? Yes, it's homemade and made with chicken but the flavor is there. The only ingredient you might not have on hand are the fennel seeds and while you can make it without, they really provide the unique sausage like flavor profile and we highly recommend.
Serve the sausage links in a whole wheat hot dog bun, topped with sautéed peppers and onions along with your favorite vegetables, either sweet potato fries, beet chips, raw snap peas and carrot sticks or a simple salad.
Watch Jamie make this healthy dinner for her kids in under 20 minutes live!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 red and/or yellow peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 4 whole wheat hot dog buns
- In a medium bowl combine ground chicken or turkey with ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and fennel seeds. Shape mixture into 4 sausage like links and set on a plate.
- Heat evoo in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add links and cook until brown on all sides and cooked through the middle, about 10 minutes.
- Remove links and set aside.
- Keeping the pan over medium heat, add onions, peppers, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, and cook until golden, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir to coat, add vinegar, stir and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve hot dog buns with sausages topped with onion and pepper mixture.
- Serving Size: 1 hot dog with bun
- Calories: 440
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Cholesterol Content: 98 mg
- Fat Content: 19.3 g
- Fiber Content: 9.1 g
- Protein Content: 29.3 g
- Sodium Content: 998 mg
- Sugar Content: 8.1 g