Inspired by 2-ingredient dough recipes that combine self-rising flour and Greek yogurt to make everything from bagels to cinnamon buns I found the easiest way to make scones that just happen to be healthy and the Hawaij for Coffee takes them over the top.
Skip the sugar if you want to keep them even healthier, the yogurt provides some sweetness and you can always add some glaze if desired later. These scones are the perfect companion to a hot cup of coffee flavored with Hawaij.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cup flour, spelt or all-purpose (240 grams)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Jamie Geller Hawaij for Coffee
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (about 300 grams)
- Line a baking sheet with a double layer of parchment paper and preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and Hawaij for Coffee. Stir to combine.
Make a well and add yogurt. Mix together with a spoon until you have a shaggy looking dough, if the dough doesn't come together, add a teaspoon of yogurt.
Dump dough onto a floured countertop or large cutting board and pat together to form a round circle about 10” in diameter.
- Transfer the circle of scone dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Cut into eight equal pieces. Start by cutting the circle in half from top to bottom. Then cut it in half from side to side. Then cut the remaining two pieces in half diagonally.
- Carefully separate the scones and spread them out evenly on your baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the scones look golden.
- Remove from the oven and transfer scones to a baking sheet to cool, or serve warm.