This recipe was inspired by my rabbi in seminary who used to make us Mushroom Barley soup to break the fasts.
This soup is great if your the type who HATES artificial broths. I love eating healthy and my goal when it comes to cooking is to always stay away from the fake stuff and eat things that the HEART will love!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6-8 PeopleServings
- 450 grams Barley pearl or pot barley
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 big stalk celery chopped
- 1 big onion chopped
- 2 big/med onions sliced
- 2 big carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
- 6 cup water do NOT put all this in at once
- salt, onion powder, garlic salt use as much as you please I would start with 1 teaspoon each
- 1 teaspoon pepper add more if needed
1. Soak barley in bowl of water for 8 hours before
2. Put butter and olive oil in pot on LOW heat and wait until it sizzles
3. Put in CHOPPED garlic, celery, and onion (NOT the 2 sliced onions) and saute for 10 minutes on LOW heat (add more oil or butter if needed)
4. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot - thats where all the flavour and natural broth is!
5. Pour in 4 cups of water, barley and carrots. Put on MED heat and let cook for about 15-20 mins (stir pot every 4-5 minutes)
6. Add in your personal spices and seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder) - mix well
7. Add 2 cups of water, mushrooms and the 2 sliced onions (add more seasoning and spices if needed) - mix!
8. Let cook for 15-20 mins on MED/HIGH heat
9. Mix well and enjoy!
*If you'd like to wash, add a baquette to dip in the soup - yummy!